I am so blessed to be home with my children during the day, but at night, I head to our local State college as an adjunct professor. Being (relatively) young can make it hard for the students to see me as their professor at first, so I always worry about my back to school outfits. I have been mistake for a student on one too many occasions. (Although these days I sort of appreciate it!)
Being a SAHM (aka Stay at Home Mom or aka Slightly Appreciated Hot Mess as I've been told that acronym stands for...) means that our budget doesn't allow for too much shopping, but if I had the ability to build my dream wardrobe here are some of the essentials I would HAVE to purchase from two of my favorite stores to window shop. (I swear, sometimes I really wish I could land on one of those make over shows so I could just walk in and take each and every outfit off of the plastic people decorating the store. ;)
Anyway, here is my wish list from J.Crew...
Even the name of the skirt proves just how appropriate it would be for a teacher ;) And seriously how sheek is the belt in that camel colored leather with the matching clutch?! L.O.V.E. it!
I love how this jacket is layered on top of a pink cardigan. It gives it just enough feminine appeal but still keeps the look sharp enough for me to get away with wearing it on a cool night with a classic pair of dark denim jeans. (I know, I'm very lucky...I can definitely get away with jeans at work.)
I don't own much cashmere, but it is by far my favorite material. I could seriously spend all day, every day, in a cashmere cardigan. Thinking about it is making me crave football games, hot cocoa, and a soft cashmere scarf. Ahhhhhh, sounds wonderful doesn't it??? Anyway, this piece is a classic in any color and I am a huge fan of this look. A high quality cardigan can be thrown over almost anything to class it up a notch.
Another fabulous store that I would like to go on a spree in is Anthropologie.
I love this Ihrin Shirtdress in dark purple. It probably sounds backwards, but when I am feeling blah, sometimes a good fitting dress that is easy to wear and accesorize is all I need to make feel comfortable and cute. Plus, this dark purple color is a must have for the fall!
Because I spend about 2 hours a night on my feet teaching, comfy shoes are also important. I only stand about 5' tall, but I'm okay with that. I don't feel the need to wear heels to work all the time, even though my students often tower over me. (I don't know who I think I'm kidding, my 3rd graders used to be taller than me :p) Anthropologie has an amazing collection of ballet flats and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on
But when I do need to wear heels, I might just about go to heaven in these nude patent leather Niko Wedges. Go check out the other views of this shoe...they even have a zipper in the back! Again, I repeat myself. HEAVEN.
I'm thinking I need to start with a self help program. My name is Nancy, and I'm a shopaholic.



Hi Nancy!
ReplyDeleteIt's hard finding that balance. Our expenses are different now. I remember when I was 18 buying 5 pairs of jeans in a shopping trip just because I could. I had money to spend so I spent it. Now with a mortgage and all those other lovely bills that keep piling up every month I don't have the luxury of buying new cloths for myself. I buy things when I need them but it's more out of necessity not want. Also I feel guilty when I buy things for myself because I feel like it should be going towards other things for the house that we need like towel racks for the bathroom remodel (which we are in desperate need of due to mold)! It's one of those things where you really wish you could look outside your window and see a money tree....