Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tornados, Earthquakes, & Hurricanes! Oh My!

I could have sworn that I lived in New England.  You know, the place of pleasantly warm Springs, hot, sunny Summers, cool Falls, and blustery Winters.  I thought I knew what to expect for the worst, weather-wise.  A blizzard a few times a year, some thunderstorms in the summer, but that was about it.  Apparently that has all changed.  This year we have experienced a tornado, an earthquake, and now we are all on Hurricane Irene watch.

Of course, I am a wreck.  That's me.  I panic.  And the fact that the hubs is off partying it up with his buddies for the weekend does. not. help.

So, how do I protect my kids in this kind of weather?  Do we all go hide in our cedar closet...literally the one room in our house without windows?  Or more realistically, how am I supposed to keep them entertained for 4 days if the electricity goes out?!  And what should I feed them if everything in our fridge goes bad?  (This is just my publishable list of worries - trust me, I'm crazy and have all kinds of things going through my head!)

NBC New York posted this article on how to be prepared should Irene grace us with her presence, but seriously, that just made me even more nervous!  I have some serious preparing to do...starting with finding a flashlight in this house!  (And then filling the tub so we can flush the toilet!  I am NOT cool with the whole "let it mellow" thing.)

How are you preparing?  Do you think the meteorologist actually know what's going on yet or are we likely to see a little rain and nothing more?  Either way, this ought to be a fun weekend.  :/  Start charging your electronics, people!

1 comment:

  1. As a FDNY wife there are many perks however there is also the constant anxiety that goes with it as well. Being prone to anxiety in general already, when something like this comes up, my stomach is in HUGE knots. Added to that is my husband giving me a list of things to do to prep just in case something happens. I want to protect my house, family and of course my pup so I am on "survival mode" right now. I have been up since the wee hours of the morning doing laundry, running the dishwasher, gathering the candles, moving the plants, making sure the car has a full gas tank, making ice, charging electronics, etc.

    We have a well so when the power goes out we have no water. I am also not a fan of the "let it mellow" philosophy so right now I am petrified to drink or eat anything! I guess I should consume now before that first drop of rain hits the ground.

    I don't know what to think about this whole hurricane thing. I think that we as humans have severly harmed the planet so this could be our karma from mother nature however I also feel that people get fixated and crazed about things like this and go to the extreme. I was at the grocery store yesterday morning and this guy had 12 cases of water, 15 loaves of bread and 4 gallons of milk. I understand we need to be prepared but come on, we have had ample warning and people just go nuts over this. I am glad we have the technology now that there are fair warnings so hospitals and nursing homes could evacuate and prepare but I just have to wonder why some people get so nuts over this. I am anxious about this as the rest of us because we all don't know whats its going to be like until it actually hits. I am hoping that it's just a bad rain storm and we can all laugh about this come Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete