Tuesday, April 17, 2012

LeapPad Ultra eBooks

I have written many posts about my unconditional love for LeapFrog.  I've shared how the LeapPad has made our hectic lives easier on plane and car rides, but I haven't shared a lot about my favorite games for the LeapPad, the 2012 Toy of the Year.

Recently I was given the opportunity to try out two of the latest Ultra eBooks with my kids, and I jumped at the chance!  As you can imagine, my kids were thrilled when they saw that new LeapPad cartridges had come in the mail, and they were even more excited when they saw their favorite characters were on the boxes - Cinderella and the stars of Cars 2.

I have said it before, but because my professional training is in education, I adore how Leapfrog manages to make learning fun!  My son is constantly telling me "I learned it on my LeapPad!" and it makes me smile every time.  The thing that makes these Ultra eBooks extra special is how they teach your children.  The books are written in 3 different skill levels, allowing you to customize and adjust the learning for your child.  In addition, every page is interactive - from sounding out words, learning new vocabulary to drawing  conclusions and reading comprehension.  The LeapPad is so smart, that it actually remembers your child's reading level from book to book, so when you start a new Ultra eBook, it is already programed to the correct level.  Another amazing feature of the LeapPad is that you can purchase the games and books as cartridges or as apps.  While we have a lot of both, and I am happy to use either, the apps really make it easy because they are stored on the actual LeapPad and on your computer, which means, no lost games.  Plus, you can put the apps onto two LeapPads, so if I download something that both of my kids will like, I can easily give them both access to it at the same time.

While these Ultra eBooks are actual stories, they also include mini games to keep your child engaged and excited as they read along.  Of course,because it is LeapFrog, the games are always educational, whether your child realizes it or not. ;)  These books are categorized as appropriate from ages 4-7, however, my daughter, who is 2, is a HUGE fan of her LeapPad and of the Cinderella Ultra eBook.  She will pay attention as the story is read to her, and she knows exactly how to interact with it.  She taps on characters, words, and objects, to see what will happen.  I know she is gaining a lot from these books, the least of which is the concept of cause and effect.

If you aren't familiar with the LeapPad, or the amazing games and books that you can use with the LeapPad, you need to check it out!  Trust me, there is a reason that it was named the 2012 Toy of the Year!!  It is by far my kids favorite toy, and their new eBooks have quickly become their favorite thing to do on their tablets.

Do your kids have LeapPads?  If so, what is their favorite thing to do on them?  Draw?  Take picture of video?  Play games?  I'd love to hear!! There is a little one in our house with a birthday coming up and I'll bet she'd love some new stuff for hers! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment