Monday, April 16, 2012

Puppy Love

When my husband and I first got married, I begged and begged and begged him for a dog. We already had a cat, and he was completely fine with just our little Ollie. I, on the other hand, grew up with a dog, and couldn't stand not having one of my own, so after a few beers, and lots more begging, I got him to take me to see a litter of Golden Retriever pups that were born on Christmas morning. Of course, like any person would, we fell in love and proceeded to put a deposit on a little red, female retriever whose name was originally "Dancer" and that we changed to Jessie. Jessie was my baby. As a matter of fact, up until the day before my son was born, she and I would cuddle in bed every night. I know I have a picture of me, 9 months pregnant, spooning that dog. Sadly, when she was only 7 years old, she got sick and passed. It was heart wrenching, and I cried for a week straight after she passed.
 
About 8 months later, after many more heart breaking conversations with my son about why Jessie wasn't going to be coming back to live with us, (his precious, innocent, 2 1/2 year old mind, asked if Jessie was giving baby Jesus rides on her back in heaven), I finally got my husband to agree to take a trip with me to visit an adoption festival run by the SPCA. We left my son with my parents so that he wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get a new puppy, but we took our daughter, who at that point was only a few months old. That's when we met Chewbacca. (Can you guess who named him?!) He was taken from a high-kill shelter in Tennessee and brought to NY to find a forever-family, and when he couldn't stop kissing our daughter's face through his crate, we knew he was the one. The poor puppy had been living in a small crate for his entire 4 months of life, and was so timid when we brought him home, but he was loving and couldn't get enough of our daughter. One of my favorite pictures ever is of him sitting on her lap, just hours after we brought him home. She is probably thinking, what is this beast doing on my lap?!? He is still very protective of her and of our whole family.
 
 
So, why am I sharing this looong story with you, well, because, like many people who have animals, we have had some trouble with Chewy and his anxiety issues. The poor dog can not handle when we leave him. He is a herder by nature, but this poor dog will spend hours, sitting in our bay window, at attention, waiting for us to return. When we are home, he takes his anxiety out on my kids toys, chewing and shredding them. He has taken out more than one pair of my shoes - most recently my new, black, suede MK stilettos - UNacceptable!  But, come back tomorrow, because recently I was given the chance to try an amazing product called Comfort Zone and I am soooo excited because I have a review and giveaway to share with you!  Stay tuned!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment