We all know that “going green” is the “chic” thing these
days. Most of us recycle, some of us
up-cycle, and even fewer of us make huge lifestyle changes to help protect the
earth, like installing solar panels in our homes, or switching to electric
cars. Realistically, going green can
often be extremely costly, and although it sounds nice in theory, it isn’t
always accessible. The upfront cost of
some of these projects is often way out of reach.
So, how about an
option that not only helps you go green (without shelling out a ton of cash up
front), but also saves you some green.
Cloth diapering is making a comeback in a big way. I know…it sounds pretty awful. But trust me, it’s really not that bad. I used disposable diapers with my son, and at
the time all of my friends used them as well.
By the time that I was pregnant with my daughter, I had quite a few
friends using cloth diapers and raving about them. I was still super hesitant…it seemed like a
diaper service to clean them would be very expensive in my area, and I really
wasn’t sure how I felt about all that poop in my washing machine. I was also scared that I would do it
wrong. It seemed kind of complicated! I didn’t know if I needed inserts, or liners,
or covers, or all-in-ones. I didn’t know
what a “wet bag” was, or where to get one.
There were so many brands, with so many types of diapers that I felt
overwhelmed, so I stuck with disposables until my daughter was about 6 weeks
old.
Out of nowhere, she came down with a terrible diaper rash. The worst I had ever seen. The poor kid cried uncontrollably every time
that I changed her diaper. I tried over
the counter lotions, prescription lotions, I left her without a diaper whenever
I could, I even skipped wipes as much as possible and used warm water on a wash
cloth to clean her, but nothing helped.
I was desperate! I had a gift
card from my shower that I still hadn’t spent, so I ordered two cloth diaper
covers and a dozen inserts, and within a week her bottom was all cleared up and
she was happy as clam. As soon as she
was feeling better, I ordered enough cloth diaper supplies so that she would
never have to wear a disposable again.
One of the best brands that I found was Bambino Mio. The covers are soft and slim fitting, the
inserts are pre-folded, and the brand sells everything that you need to cloth
diaper, including nappy detergent, diaper pails, and birth to potty training
sets that set you up for as long as you need diapers.
They also have super cute designs, and let’s be honest, that’s
important too!
Check out these adorable covers.
Cloth diapering is not for everyone, but the benefits are
extremely appealing. There are huge
savings to consider, less diaper rash, reports that cloth diapers lead to
earlier potty training, and of course, less waste filling up our landfills and
harming our earth.
So, if cloth diapering is something you do, something you
are considering, or something that you want to help a fellow mommy get started
with, check out the new Bambino Mio supplies that ODIZ Baby Supply is
carrying.
I originally published this blog post for ODIZ Baby Supply at http://odiz.biz/blog/2011/12/02/going-green-saving-green/ .









No comments:
Post a Comment