Before I had kids I was one of "those" people. I told anyone who would listen how my kids would never watch television, never eat fast food, never have sugar, would only eat organic, wouldn't whine or throw tantrums in public, wouldn't be coerced into doing something by bribery, etc.
I lied.
About it all.
But, now I finally have proof, that despite all my "wrong doings" there has been some good gained.
My kids watch television. Every morning, while I make breakfast, have a cup of coffee, feed the pets, load the dishwasher, and so on, my kids sit in the living room and watch tv. I do monitor what they watch very closely. There is no Sponge Bob allowed in my house, or anything like him. We are strictly a PBS, Disney Channel, Sprout type of family, and once in a while some Nick Jr., but even on those channels, I make sure that what they are watching is appropriate.
Anyway, one of the shows that P loves is Sid the Science Kid on PBS. He watches it all the time, and I love the vocabulary that he learns, the jokes they tell, and the songs they sing. (Especially the one that says "I love my mom, my mom is cool!" ;) ) It is a show about scientific exploration. Now, I know that P remembers almost everything I tell him, but I wasn't aware of just how much he picked up from the television until this happened as I was listening to him and his Best Buddy play.
P: Let's play superheroes!
BB: Okay, I'll be Superman!
P: No, you be a germ and I'll be an antibody!
Me: Did you just say antibody?!?
P: Yeah.
Me: Where did you learn that?
P: Sid the Science Kid!
He then proceeded to tell me how he needs a shot so he doesn't get the flu virus. He's 3.
So folks, looks like TV isn't that bad after all. Maybe I should watch a little more of it myself ;) Now if only I could find a positive in all the sugar and fast food I feed my kids...






No comments:
Post a Comment