Friday, July 15, 2011

Organization

I need help.  I sat up last night for hours thinking about all of the things I needed to do today.  Then I woke up and decided to check out facebook, check my email, read some of my book, blog...and so on.  I haven't started my to-do list, nor do I even remember half of what was on it! 

I have every app that I have found on my iphone to keep my life organized.  Apps for grocery lists.  Apps for to-do lists.  Apps for errands.  Apps with folders inside the app!  None. Of. Them. Work. For. Me.

I seriously need to find someway to keep my everyday tasks in order.  I have spent countless hours lately organizing closets, and cabinets.  And I love it.  It feels great every time that I open my linen closet or my cedar closet...(thanks Chris!  You are the best!! xo)  But, the rest of my house is in disarray and I can't handle it much longer!

What do you do to keep your everyday life organized? 
To keep the piles of the kitchen counter? 
To keep the toys in one place? 
To not lose your keys/sunglasses/credit cards/etc.? 
To show that despite having toddlers running around, you are still sort-of in control of your life??

Helllllpppp!!

2 comments:

  1. Baskets....that seems to be the answer for me. In my head everything has a place and therefore they need a home so I have baskets in certain places around my house that keep with the decor but a spot I always put things and have even "trained" my husband and dog to do!!!

    For example...my lovely puppy loves to showcase her toys and leave them right infront of the door sometimes so when I am coming up the stairs with a heavy laundry basket it would be right in my way. I have since kept all her toys in a basket in the living room floor that is accessable to her as well as neatly displays them. That kills two birds with one stone right there!

    Another example is mail/bills/catalogs....these things can pile up quickly so once the mail is in the house we immediately sort through it. Trash goes in the trash, recycling the magazines goes in the recycling bin, and everything else goes in a basket on my office desk. This way everything is in one place. For those times that we can't sort it right away everything goes right into the basket. Therefore we know we have to go through it. When I have the 10 minutes to actually look through the mail as well as organize the bills we both know where they are and what needs to be done. It keeps it in one centerialized location therefore we aren't frantically searching for things in a craze.

    Oh and it was my pleasure organizing with you. You know I enjoy it greatly plus I get to hang out with you and the kids! It's such a great bonus :)

    Can't wait to organize with you more!

    Lots of love

    Your organizing buddy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the baskets! I have baskets (that match my decor) in my bedroom, family room and both the kids bedrooms. All of these baskets are "toy" bins because even though my kids have a great playroom, toys always manage to make their way into different rooms. So if I have baskets placed all over, they have an easy place to be put away quickly. Plus, it's nice to be able to pull out a few toys in each room if you are trying to shower or keep the kids busy somewhere else :-)

    I also have a letter basket from Pottery Barn in my bedroom for all the piles of mail, bills, and other papers that need to be sorted through. I can't stand piles on my kitchen counters so I always put them in my bedroom basket. Then I make it my weekly task to empty the basket before more stuff floods in the following week. Ha! I also have pin board above my desk in my bedroom for all my "immediate attention" paperwork so it doesn't get lost in piles and doesn't get forgotten about.

    Then of course I use the crap out of my iphone for EVERYTHING else. I have a kids medical app for all their stats, vaccine schedules, allergies, etc, I have my grocery/Target lists on an app, I have my prescriptions saved on my Walgreens app for quick refills, and I also have an app called "E-Wallet" that keeps all of my credit card numbers, website passwords, SS#s, etc. stored safely with password protection. That kind of stuff is hard to keep track of on paper so this app has been a huge lifesaver, especially when I am out at an appointment and forget the kids SS#!!

    I can't say I will EVER feel totally organized or in control, especially with young kiddies and mommy brain. But I am always looking for new ways to control the chaos so sharing ideas is the best way to help each other. Good post girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete